11 reasons why you should take a road trip to Bankura in winter
A drive over Kangsabati dam at Mukutmaniur will relieve stress and anxiety. Moreover, it is free. But, you have to collect passes between 10am to 4pm. Trust me, you will definitely cherish the scenic view of the dam from Musatirana view point.
2. Drive to Jhilimili -
Though Jhilimil has nothing special to offer, a drive to Jhilimili, especially Talberia Dam is very much recommended. You will not only enjoy the scenic beauty of the dam, but also enjoy the drive through I picturesque hilly road.
3. Drive through Taldangra forest -
If you have a plan to cover Bishnupur, you should drive through Taldangra forest. The scenic beauty is awesome.
4. Experience Susunia -
If you are interested in history, rock climbing or picnic or just want to stay in nature's lap for day, you should pay a visit to Susunia hill in Bankura. It is a known archaeological and fossil site. You can also see 4th century inscription there. Moreover, winter trip to Susunia will provide you with a chance to experience a village fair held at the base of the hill every year.
5. Grand Canyon of West Bengal -
Do you want to have a glimpse of Gongoni - Grand Canyon of West Bengal? If yes, please drive towards Garbeta. You will find this fascinating wide gorge of red soil on the banks of river Silabati. The gorge is a handiwork of mother nature through years of soil erosion coupled with some assistance from the river.
6. Explore Terracotta art form at Bishnupur -
If you are looking for a short cultural gateway in Bankura, head towards temple town Bishnupur. It is a great place to explore Terracotta art form. The terracotta work on the temple walls and pillars is quite exquisite and detailed.
If you don't mind the crowd, you must visit the Poush Mla (fair) ground (near Madan Mohan temple)in the evening. It is organized in the last week of December every year.
7. Taste fresh date juice and date jaggery -Have you ever tasted fresh date juice or have you tasted it recently? If not, please wake up in the morning and start driving towards the next attraction you've planned. You will find many makeshift date juice collection centre where they prepare date jaggery from fresh date juice. You will definitely feel good after you taste cold, fresh date juice. Fresh date jaggery is also available here. It not only tastes good but is also available at very low price.
8. Stay at Sonajhuri Prakriti Bhavan Kendra -
Do you want to take rest after a tiring drive and looking for a abode far from the din and bustle of daily lfe? WBFDC nature resort at Mukutmanipur is the ideal retreat amidst nature. Built atop a hill midst the i verdant forest of Sal and Plyal rees, it offers panoramic vista of iconic Kangsabati dam. And while staying at WBFDC cottage, don't forget to taste Posto Bora (Bengal delicacy made from mashed poppy seeds).
9. "Bengali Adda" with Aloor Chop -"Aloor Chop" or potato fritters is Bankura's most popular street snacks. So, don't dare forget to stop your car by one of the countryside fast food stall to relish the taste of authentic aloor chop of Bankura during winter. You may opt for puffed rice or "muri" and hot tea along with aloor chop to linger over Bengali style "adda".
10. Satisfy your sweet tooth with Shaktigarh's Langcha -In west Bengal, how can you say a road trip complete without satisfying your sweet tooth? Shaktigarh's Langcha comes to rescue. You should stop your car beside one of the famous sweetmeat shops at Shaktigarh (along national highway) on your way to Santiniketan to satiate your taste buds with king size langchas. But, I must admit that the quality has degraded significantly over time.
11. Souvenirs of Bankura you can't afford to miss -
Last but not the least, how can you conclude your tour without collecting souvenirs? Bankura has sculpted an eternal name for itself with its 'teracotta' artifacts. You can buy famous terrcotta horse from Pancthmura villge. Another indigenous bankura art that is being adorned across the country and throughout the world is Dokra. This metal casting souvenirs can be bought from Bikna village. Those who are looking for buying authentic Baluchari Sari, can buy it from Bishnupur.